Delta and Menominee Counties, Michigan(Partner: National Association of County and City Health Officials)
To promote healthy living in Delta & Menominee Counties through environment and policy changes that support good nutrition, physical activity and smoke-free environments.
Public Health, Delta & Menominee Counties is located in the rural Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The target community, Escanaba, located in Delta County, is on the beautiful shore of Lake Michigan. The City of Escanaba has approximately 12,600 residents according to the 2010 census.
Community Change Strategy
1. Community-at-large: Policy ,Systems and Environment -- Institute a smoke-free policy 24/7 for outdoor public places.
2. Community-at-large: Systems and Environment-- Institute strategies to promote physical activity within the community.
3. Worksites: Policy-- Develop and Implement a Breastfeeding policy to allow employees time to breastfeed.
1. Passage of an outdoor smoke-free air ordinance.
a. Placed no-smoking signs outside at all areas including parks, beaches, recreational facilities
2. Formalized a community bike share program
a. Formalized and adopted a free yellow bike program within the City of Escanaba.
b. Bikes can be checked out and used at Mr. Bike, Ski and Fitness, Goodwill Industries and the Municipal Marina.
To motivate individuals to achieve good health, thus decreasing the incidence of chronic disease by: 1. Promoting health and wellness activities within the community. 2. Providing education to individuals about healthy lifestyles. 3. Promoting policy & environmental changes in the community that will be sustainable for healthy living.